Lex began his legal career with the international law firm of King & Spalding, LLP, where he worked on the Business Litigation team for five years. In 2005, he returned to his hometown of Charlotte and has practiced law in the Queen City since that time. Lex focuses his law practice on complex business litigation, construction litigation, real estate litigation, and commercial arbitrations. Lex is known as a lawyer who takes difficult cases that need aggressive pursuit or defense. Lex regularly appears in State Superior Courts, NC Federal Courts, the NC Business Court, and arbitrations.
Some notable accomplishments include:
- Negotiating a win-win settlement after a two-week jury trial involving a dispute between shareholders of a closely held company.
- Winning a two-week jury trial involving a bitterly fought real estate ownership dispute of a Lake Norman waterfront property.
- Winning a dismissal of a purported $10 million claim against his clients in federal court.
Lex is dedicated to his clients and is always looking after their bottom line to achieve the best economic result possible, whether through trial, arbitration, or a negotiated settlement.
Community & Professional
- American Inn of Court, The Chief Justice William H. Bobbitt Chapter - President, 2015-2017; Treasurer, 2017-2022
- Service Juris Day, Chairman, 2009 - 2019
- Hands-On Charlotte, Board of Directors, 2008 - 2012
Outside Nexsen Pruet
4-time Iron-Distance Triathlon finisher, 2012, '13, '14, '15
7-time marathon finisher and Boston Marathon Qualifier
Lex and his wife, Amy, are the proud parents of two children. They love attending Panthers and Tar Heel games and exploring the Rocky Mountains in both the summer and winter.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Construction, Since 2023
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2010-14; Business Litigation, 2015-23
- Legal Elite, 2013-14, '16, '18 (Construction); 2011 (Young Guns)
- 2007 Graduate of the Bar Leadership Institute, Mecklenburg County Bar
- King & Spalding Pro Bono Award, 2002
- North Carolina Law Review, 1998-99
- 01.18.2023 | News from Nexsen Pruet
- 01.03.2023 | News from Nexsen Pruet
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- North Carolina
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Certified Mediator for NC Superior Courts