Scott Saylor counsels businesses in a variety of industries in corporate matters including economic development initiatives, entity formation, joint ventures, acquisitions, and corporate expansion projects. His unique perspective on infrastructure and job creation is valuable insight for our clients seeking to locate businesses and grow in the region.
He joins Nexsen Pruet from the North Carolina Railroad Company (NCRR), following a 31-year tenure, serving as President since 2000. In his role, Saylor managed all operations and planning of NCRR, while working with private and community partners to bring rail-served industries to North Carolina and advancing main line rail improvements. A native of Forsyth County, NC, his deep roots in the region and keen business acumen positioned him to lead plans for business growth, infrastructure, job creation, and manufacturing projects throughout his career.
The company's achievements during Saylor's tenure include:
- Revaluation and negotiation of NCRR's assets and properties under the 99-year lease with Norfolk Southern Railway dating to 1895, and conversion into modern-era agreements with substantially higher rental;
- Increasing the capital of the railroad from several hundred thousand dollars to over $100 million;
- Advancing NCRR as a platform for track and infrastructure improvements that positioned North Carolina as a leader in rail-served manufacturing projects, job creation and passenger-rail service;
- Arranging for the stock buyout and recapitalization of NCRR in 1998; and
- Developing rail corridor protection practices to position the corridor for future uses.
Community & Professional
Member, Guilford Technical Community College Foundation Board, September 2021-Present
Member, North Carolina Bar Association Real Property and Business Law
Member, National Association of Corporate Directors, Research Triangle Chapter, 2018- 2021
Member, Transportation & Infrastructure Committee, North Carolina Chamber
Past President, Railway Association of North Carolina
Capital Associated Industries Board of Directors, 2013-2020 (Audit Committee)
Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2018-2020
Raleigh Charter High School Board of Directors, 2008-2015
Apex Chamber of Commerce, Government Relations Committee, 2020-Present
Outside Nexsen Pruet
Scott lives in Apex, N.C. with his wife Fran, and they have two sons. His interests include fishing, boating, hunting and occasional golf.
- Honored by North Carolina Railroad Company/Town of Morrisville with the naming of the Crabtree Creek bridge, "Scott Saylor and Family Bridge"
- Presented with the “Order of the Long Leaf Pine" by the North Carolina Department of Transportation on behalf of Governor Roy Cooper
- 03.04.2021 | Video
- 01.26.2021 | Media Mention
- 01.04.2021 | News from Nexsen Pruet
Scott Saylor counsels businesses in a variety of industries in corporate matters including economic development initiatives, entity formation, joint ventures, acquisitions, and corporate expansion projects. He joins Nexsen Pruet from the North Carolina Railroad Company (NCRR), following a 31-year tenure, serving as President since 2000.
Railroads: the logistics and supply-chain giant, particularly critical across the Carolinas. For many companies and site selection professionals, access to rail is a must; but, rail as we know it is evolving. Enter Scott Saylor, former president of the North Carolina Railroad Company and current Nexsen Pruet Of Counsel. An expert on rail in the region, Scott built his career in the industry over several decades - and is here to update Buzz listeners on all things rail (types, infrastructure, major players, role in economic development, etc.). Listen in for a lesson on Railroads 101!
- North Carolina