R. Daniel "Dan" Boyce is a civil and criminal trial attorney with three decades of experience representing clients in a number of civil, criminal and regulatory matters across a broad spectrum of industries. He is Board Certified as a specialist in state and federal criminal law by the North Carolina State Board of Legal Specialization.
His civil trial practice includes:
- Representation of individuals and businesses before administrative, licensing, disciplinary and grievance boards including those handling medical, dental, nursing, legal, accounting, real estate, contractor, appraisal, law enforcement, and respiratory, massage and speech therapy
- Corporate, partnership and business disputes and fraud investigations, including unfair and deceptive trade practices
- Corporate internal investigations detecting employee malfeasance including embezzlement
- Class action lawsuits involving tax, federal contracts and constitutional issues
- Civil remedies available under state and federal law including the Federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- Defense of employment claims under the FLSA/NCWHA/AWPA
- Defense of false claims actions brought by government entities
- Defense of sexual harassment/hostile work environment claims
His criminal defense trial practice includes:
- Federal grand jury investigations
- Bank, wire and mail fraud
- Health care fraud (including Medicare/Medicaid)
- Environmental issues
- Money laundering and tax matters
- Conflicts of interest
- Political corruption
- Law enforcement investigations
Dan has worked as a Federal Prosecutor (Assistant U.S. Attorney for Eastern District of North Carolina) where he earned numerous commendations and awards including the U.S. Department of Justice Special Achievement Award in recognition of Sustained Superior Performance of Duties. He received training at the FBI Academy in Quantico, VA on cybercrimes while serving in this position.
Dan was a licensed private investigator in North Carolina and gained experience conducting corporate internal investigations. He continues to provide legal services assisting companies in detecting fraud, embezzlement and other internal misconduct, responding to grand jury subpoenas and Federal investigators and corporate crisis management.
Additionally, he served as Special Counsel to the North Carolina House of Representatives Ethics Committee for Investigation of Unethical Conduct by a State Legislator and as Special Counsel to the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Administrative Proceedings involving the tobacco industry in four states. In 2000, he was the Republican candidate for North Carolina State Attorney General.
Dan is the past president of the Wake County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, and has been a board member for a range of local and state organizations, including the North Carolina State Bar, Criminal Section.
Community & Professional
- Wake County Bar Association - including prior service on Board of Directors, Criminal Law Specialty Committee, and Young Lawyers Division President
- North Carolina Bar Association, Civil Litigation and Criminal Justice Section, and former Board of Directors
- Julia Ellen Crump Foundation - President
- Bald Head Island Club Board of Governors
- Tammy Lynn Center - Former Board of Directors
Outside Nexsen Pruet
Auto-racing is a new-found passion that returns me to my youth. I've taken it up late in life, and joined a racing team. We do "Lemons" races and essentially take cars that aren't fit to drive on a road and see if we can spend an entire weekend driving them around a track. My family jokes that I have a 'need for speed,' and I will admit, it's awfully fun.
- Represented individual and small business in multi-year defamation lawsuit, obtaining a multi-million dollar jury verdict
- Successfully represented provider of online legal documents in multi-year dispute with state agency, gaining the ability for client to operate in North Carolina
- Successfully defended former gubernatorial candidate in action brought by non-profit questioning ethics of candidate
- Represented Board in corporate internal investigation and advised Board Members on its fiduciary obligations and regulatory duties separate and apart from the Company
- Defended large family farming operation, including a packinghouse operation, related to claims of federal and state employment (labor law) violations
- Defended Companies that provide labors, including H2-A, to farming operations and other businesses in Eastern North Carolina related to claims of federal and state employment violations
- Defended software company in litigation brought in multiple venues by a competitor
- Defended two storage companies in False Claims Act action in federal District Court
- Represented shareholder in dispute related to breaches by other shareholders, ownership of intellectual property and corporate dissolution
- Represented law enforcement agency in Department of Justice inquiry and Federal Grand Jury Investigation
- Defended male employee in state action alleging sexual harassment and sexual assault in workplace
- Defended international law firm in claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty
- Successfully defended small business owner charged with embezzlement based on failure to remit withholding taxes
- Represented out of state company in successfully forcing open bid process for state contract
- Defended local car dealer in civil asset forfeiture action in the Southern District of New York
- Obtained Not Guilty in Federal District Court for armed services member charged with DUI
- Successful representations of numerous attorneys before NC State Bar and other licensing agencies in restoring or maintaining professional licenses
- Represented individual family members in multi-million dollar family business dispute in North Carolina Business Court
- Represented Company in action against temporary employee related to suspicion of unlawful computer fraud abuse
- Defended numerous licensed and accredited professionals before administrative and licensing boards
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Board Certified Specialist in State and Federal Criminal Law, North Carolina State Board of Legal Specialization
- Former Licensed Private Investigator, State of North Carolina
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- Included in the North Carolina Super Lawyers® list since 2008 in the area of Civil Litigation: Defense
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Criminal Defense - General Practice and Criminal Defense - Non-White-Collar since 2007 and Criminal Defense- White-Collar and Civil Litigation Defense from 2007-22
- Assistant U.S. Attorney (1987-1994)
One of the things Dan enjoys most about his law practice is when he is asked by the media to provide legal analysis and commentary. A few examples:
October 26, 2011
Dan appeared on NBC's The Today Show in a report about the criminal trial against former Senator John Edwards: "Edwards attempts to dismiss charges against him."
Nov 23, 2010
Dan appeared on Raleigh's WRAL to discuss the former NC Gov. Mike Easley's plea on a campaign finance charge: "Former federal prosecutor reacts to Easley plea."
October 15, 2007
Dan appeared on Raleigh's WRAL to discuss a request for the state's help in a federal lawsuit filed by three former Duke lacrosse players: "Former Prosecutor on Nifong's Request for State Help."
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- 09.20.2019 | News from Nexsen Pruet
Business and commercial litigation attorney Dan Boyce shares answers the question "What do I do now?" when a company is faced with a civil, regulatory or federal criminal investigation.
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court