I bring a broad base of government experience to matters involving real estate law and economic development. I have a strong understanding of land use and zoning issues, as well incentives to encourage economic development, and am well versed in researching, analyzing, and drafting documentation to support transactions.
With a background that includes more than 13 years in the public sector, I am particularly experienced in providing counsel to clients appearing before governmental entities, and have a proven ability to effectively analyze statutes, ordinances, case law, and factual data to achieve favorable outcomes.
My experience as lead attorney for Berkeley County Government – the governing authority for the 35th fastest growing county in the United States – has helped me serve clients in a number of projects in the region. While working for Berkeley County, I led the effort to create an assessment district consisting of multiple developers to fund transportation infrastructure and was instrumental in creating the Nexton Improvement District; drafted ordinances and referenda for a transportation sales tax program and Sunday sales of alcohol; negotiated multiple development and fee-in-lieu of tax agreements; and supervised condemnation procedures for transportation and airport projects. I also coordinated litigation matters with outside counsel and the Insurance Reserve Fund and prosecuted several local ordinances.
Outside of my practice, I am deeply committed to supporting the legal profession and have served as an adjunct legal writing professor at the Charleston School of Law. I’ve presented a number of continuing legal education seminars for organizations such as the South Carolina Bar Government Law Section and the South Carolina Institute of Government. I’m actively involved in a wide range of professional associations, including the South Carolina Bar’s Government Law Section Council and the South Carolina Association of County Attorneys.
Community & Professional
- Member, South Carolina Bar
- Member and Council Member, Government Law Section, South Carolina Bar
- Member, South Carolina Association of County Attorneys
- Member, South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
- Member, Charleston Real Estate Women
- Member, Charleston County Bar
- Member, Urban Land Institute South Carolina
Outside Nexsen Pruet
Outside of the office, you’ll usually find me on the dance floor preparing for my next ballroom performance or competition.
- Forty Under 40, Charleston Regional Business Journal, 2010
- Graduate, Leadership Berkeley, Berkeley Chamber of Commerce
- 2018 SC Bar Convention / Government Law Section – Presenter: Economic Development: Hot Topics and Case Studies, January 19, 2018
- SC Bar's Annual Conference - assessment districts and financing infrastructure
- Association of County Attorney's Annual Meeting - criminal penalties in the Freedom of Information Act
- Nexsen Pruet Realtors Continuing Education Seminar, Form-Based Codes
- Leadership Charleston for the Metro Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina