Neil Robinson is a highly regarded real estate attorney who has earned great respect for his professional abilities, comprehensive understanding of the law, and dedication to the community. He’s built a career based on hard work and diligence and has established a track-record rooted in going above and beyond to protect the interests of his clients.
A Broad Depth of Experience in a Wide Range of Issues
Neil's extensive practice experience is focused on complex real estate transactions; administrative law, including permitting, zoning and land sales registrations, and development agreements; and industrial, commercial, mixed use, planned community, brownfields and resort real estate development.
With a reputation for his keen negotiation and communications skills, Neil is frequently retained to develop and/or interpret contractual relationships, most often in the area of complex real estate development.
A number of notable clients have turned to him for his background and experience in this regard, including PGA of America; the Halliburton Company; International Paper Company; The Beach Company; Morgan Stanley Real Estate Fund; Orange County, California; Bank of America; WestRock; South Carolina Ports Authority; Mercedes Benz Vans; Volvo; Home Depot USA; and a host of other national developers, lending institutions and government entities.
Neil was a member of the team that successfully represented MeadWestvaco Corporation's Community Development and Land Management Group and the Rockefeller Group in procuring incentives for a new distribution center in Berkeley County, including construction of a new Interstate interchange.
He played an integral role in the representation of Boeing and in the negotiations with the State of South Carolina of the complex deal that brought the Dreamliner assembly plant to South Carolina and was a member of the firm's team that helped secure matching funds totaling $53 million, which resulted in Clemson University being awarded a $45 million grant for the off-shore wind turbine test facility at the Clemson University restoration Institute site in North Charleston.
Community & Professional
- Governor’s Quality Task Force
- South Carolina Education Oversight Committee - Chairman
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Clemson University Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Clemson University, Board of Visitors
- Clemson Real Estate Development Foundation, Board of Trustees - Founding Member and Past Chairman
- Clemson University Land Stewardship Foundation, Founding Member and Past Chairman
- Pate Foundation Board of Directors
- MUSC Children’s Hospital Foundation, Pat Board Chairman
- Urban Land Institute, Recreational Development Council
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition - Past President
- South Carolina Tourism Council - Past President
- Charleston Education Network - Founder; Past President
- Clemson Advancement Foundation - President
- Clemson University, Humanities Board - Past President
- Hibernian Society - Managing Committee Chairman and Past President
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
- College of Charleston, Advisory Board
- American Judicature Society
- American Resort and Residential Development Association
- Charleston County Bar Association
Outside Nexsen Pruet
An Equal Commitment to His Practice and His Community
When he’s not at the deal table working on behalf of his clients, Neil spends his time championing improvements in South Carolina’s public education system. In 1996, he founded the Charleston Education Network, an advocacy group of business leaders committed to promoting better educational opportunities for all children, and served as its President for a number of years. He also serves on the South Carolina State Education Lottery Oversight Committee and the Education and Economic Development Coordinating Council.
Neil has been actively involved in the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee since 2005 as the business appointee of President of the Senate, High Leatherman, serving as its Chairman for the past 8 years.
Neil currently serves on the Executive Board of the National Congressional Medal of Honor Heritage Center Foundation and is a retired Member of the United States Marine Corps Reserve. He is a former public defender of Richland County and began his legal career as a law clerk to The Honorable Charles E. Simon's, Jr., Chief Judge of the United States District Court, District of South Carolina.
- Recipient of the 2009 Distinguished Service Award, Clemson University Alumni Association's Highest Honor
- Recipient of the 2016 Platinum Compleat Lawyer Award- Highest Award of the University of South Carolina School of Law
- Award Charleston Real Estate Person of the Year- 2015
- Recipient of The Order of the Palmetto - State of South Carolina's Highest Award
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Real Estate, South Carolina in 2019 - 2022
- Recognized by Super Layers, South Carolina Real Estate
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Real Estate Law, Since 1995
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Listed in Who;s Who in America, Who's who in American Law, and Who's Who in Real Estate
Neil was among those recognized as a 2016 Compleat Lawyer by the University of South Carolina School of Law. Robinson received a Platinum Award -- reserved for attorneys who have been practicing for more than 30 years.
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit