Matt Ormiston, a member of the firm’s Agribusiness Industry Team, tailors his efforts to meet the special needs of the firm’s clients working within the finance and agriculture industries, particularly those within the Farm Credit System. As part of the Farm Credit System, established by Congress in 1916, Matt’s clients provide a reliable source of funding to agricultural and aquatic producers, rural homeowners and certain agriculture-related businesses and cooperatives.
Matt considers it a privilege to be able to assist his clients, and ensures that his efforts are effective, efficient and contribute to his clients’ overall success. He enjoys a challenge and tailors his advice and counsel to the unique needs of his clients.
Before joining the firm, Matt served as associate general counsel for a cooperatively owned wholesale funding bank within the Texas Farm Credit District, which serves Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas. In this role, he advised the bank on various topics including, but not limited to, credit documentation, loan origination, loan closing and servicing, bankruptcy, foreclosure sales and flood insurance.
Prior to going in-house, Matt represented clients in state and local tax litigation and appeals, as well as construction, contract, employment and entertainment law matters.
While still in law school, Matt served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Xavier Rodriguez, United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas.
*Matt is not admitted in North Carolina or South Carolina.
Community & Professional
- State Bar of Texas, 2008-Present
- Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2008-2017
- Side-by-Side Kids, Board of Directors, 2014-2017
- American Bar Association, 2005-2015
- Austin Bar Association, 2009-2013
Outside Nexsen Pruet
Matt enjoys spending time with his wife, Leslie, and their three children, Morgan, Jacob and Caroline. When not spending time with his family, he enjoys golf, reading and entertaining family and friends. Matt is also a member of Riverbend Church in Austin, Texas.
- Integral member of in-house legal department at a $23 billion financial institution that is part of the nationwide Farm Credit System.
- Represented out of state insurance company that was ultimately successful in contesting imposition of Texas Retaliatory Insurance Tax on federal constitutional grounds.
- Represented large oil and gas exploration company before the Texas State Office of Administrative Hearings and secured significant audit reductions and refunds of Texas Sales and Use Tax for equipment used in processing natural gas.
- Represented a variety of companies throughout the United States in state and local tax matters.
- Successfully negotiated numerous voluntary disclosure agreements for the payment of state and local taxes on behalf of clients in a wide range of industries.
- Presenter, Farm Credit Council, “Farm Credit Lending and Bankruptcy Update,” December 2020 – Virtual Presentation
- Co-Author, JD Supra, "2019 Flood Insurance Update,” May 2019, Linked Here
- Guest Lecturer, Texas A&M University School of Law, Agricultural Law Course, March 2018 – Fort Worth, Texas
- Guest Lecturer, Texas A&M University School of Law, Agricultural Law Course, November 2016 – Fort Worth, Texas
- Presenter, AgFirst Compliance Conference, “Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA): Coverage, Exemptions, Data Points and Reporting,” March 2017 – Nashville, Tennessee
- Presenter, 10th Annual John Huffaker Agricultural Law Course, “Trends in Agricultural Finance,” May 2016 – Lubbock, Texas
- Presenter, AgFirst Compliance Conference, “Another Round of Flood Insurance Regulations,” March 2016 – Asheville, North Carolina
- Presenter, 9th Annual John Huffaker Agricultural Law Course, “Current Trends in Agricultural Finance,” May 2015 – Lubbock, Texas
- Presenter, AgFirst Compliance Conference, “Flood of Changes,” March 2015 – Charleston, South Carolina
- Presenter, AgFirst Compliance Conference, “Flood Insurance Review & Updates” and “Unincorporated Business Entities,” March 2014 – New Orleans, Louisiana
- 01.08.2021 | News from Nexsen Pruet
- 01.01.2021 | News from Nexsen Pruet
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas