Nexsen Pruet has shown Lica how to think out of the box by example. From the first interview, Lica heard over and over that her strong scientific background, including a Bachelor of Arts in Zoology, a Master of Science in Microbiology, work in medical research, and prior practice in medical malpractice defense was an asset. Nexsen Pruet created opportunities for Lica to use this knowledge and experience in bringing IP capabilities to the Charleston Office and putting her to work on matters in a variety of other areas, from the defense of complex personal injury cases and medical reimbursement matters, to environmental challenges and IP infringement claims.
Community & Professional
- Michigan State Bar Association
- Charleston County Bar Association
- SC Women Lawyers Association
- Carolina Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Association (former board member)
Outside Nexsen Pruet
"I like big mutts."
"This is Beaumont, my “bordeaux boxer” puppy, a/k/a a french bull mastiff/boxer mix. He was about four months old in the photo. Now he’s a 157 pound lounge-hound. Sweetest dog ever.
Outside of work, I am the parent of one daughter and Dora the Chihuahua, along with Beaumont. I like to spend my downtime doing Beachbody® workouts and reading to keep up with all the book clubs I can’t say no to joining. I also spend a lot of time trying to improve circumstances for women and children in South Carolina and Charleston. I am on the Advisory Board for WREN, a wonderful organization located in Columbia that tirelessly advocates for South Carolina women. I have served on several committees for the Charleston County School District. I have been a member and officer of the Charleston County Teen Pregnancy Prevention Council, which advocates public policy supporting the reduction of teen pregnancies through making available medically accurate sexuality and prevention education, and have also supported this cause at the state level as a member of the board of directors of Fact Forward, formerly known as the South Carolina Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. I have also served on the board for the Ronald McDonald House in Charleston, which provides a home away from home for the families of children who are hospitalized and volunteer as a guardian ad litem to represent abused and neglected children in family court proceedings in Charleston County."
- Representation of multiple permittees in hearings pertaining to permit challenges before the DHEC Board and in Administrative Court, including permits issued to individual property owners for private use docks and waterfront construction for commercial use.Litigated a trademark infringement case on behalf of a client sued in federal court outside of South Carolina to a negotiated resolution after minimal discovery.
- Negotiated the resolution and dismissal of an architectural copyright infringement case, avoiding months of litigation for the client.
- Prosecution of numerous patent and trademark applications for clients of all sizes to registration.
Co-authored the cover story for September 2013 edition of South Carolina Lawyer magazine - “Climate Change, Beach Erosion and Beachfront Regulation."
Authored “Spring Fashion Season: The Time is Right for Rip-Offs and the Industry Still Awaits a Remedy,” an article on copyrights in the fashion industry featured in several publications and NP’s LightSwitch.
Participated on a Q&A Panel to discuss FDA regulatory strategies and experience at SCBIO Annual State Conference November 14, 2013.
Intellectual property and ligation attorney Lica Colwell discusses tips for business owners to protect their company and their intellectual property.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Ohio Bar (inactive)
- Michigan Bar
- South Carolina Bar
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina