James A. "Jimmy" Byars is an employment litigator with a focus on information security and restrictive covenant issues, including trade secret litigation, non-compete drafting and enforcement advice, and development of related employment policies. He also advises clients on a broad range of employment matters, including employment discrimination claims, wage payment issues, workplace investigations, and federal and state employment law compliance.
Specifically, Jimmy has experience assisting clients in matters involving:
- Employee theft of trade secrets
- Enforcement of restrictive covenants, such as covenants not to compete, non-solicitation agreements, and confidentiality agreements
- Employment discrimination pursuant to Title VII, the ADA, and the ADEA
- Wage claims pursuant to the FLSA and the SC Payment of Wages Act
- ERISA litigation
- Administrative investigations and enforcement pursuant to OSHA and the NLRA
- State unemployment insurance tax appeals
- Development and implementation of employment policies and employee handbooks
In 2007, Jimmy earned his B.A. degree, summa cum laude, in Criminal Justice from The Citadel, where he was a Summerall Guard and a member of the Honor Committee. In 2010, he earned his Juris Doctor degree from Wake Forest University School of Law, where he was a member of the National Moot Court team and served as Counsel for the Respondent on the Honor Council.
A native of Columbia, Jimmy worked for Nexsen Pruet as a courier and as a law clerk before joining the firm as an attorney.
- Included in the South Carolina Super Lawyers "Rising Star" list in the area of Employment & Labor, 2018
- Recipient of CALI Awards in Employment Discrimination, Workers' Compensation, Civil Procedure II and Legal Research and Writing I & II
- Finalist, 2008 George K. Walker Moot Court Competition
- Semifinalist, 2008 Edwin Stanley Moot Court Competition
- Semifinalist, 2009 Stetson International/Environmental Moot Court Competition
- "Cybersecurity and Employee Privacy: Finding the Balance," Nexsen Pruet's Employment Law certificate Series Webinar - December 11, 2019
- 05.13.2021 | Media Mention
- 05.12.2021 | Media Mention
- 03.04.2021 | Media Mention
- South Carolina