Jim Warren advises lenders, investors, developers, and public and private companies in a broad range of complex real estate and economic development transactions. With a background that spans more than two decades, he helps clients navigate the development and acquisition of retail, industrial, and commercial properties.
Jim has a distinct understanding of state and local tax economic incentives that can help his clients find the right location and optimal benefit for their projects. He is also well versed in real estate litigation, financing, leasing, tax-deferred exchanges, and contributions of properties.
Although Jim has practiced in the Upstate area for more than 20 years, his knowledge and experience extend throughout the southeastern market and across the nation. He has been recognized by Chambers, Martindale-Hubbell, Super Lawyers, and Legal Elite on a number of occasions for Real Estate Law and was named the Greenville Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in 2013.
Jim earned his undergraduate degree from Duke University, magna cum laude and his J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School. He is admitted to practice in South Carolina and Georgia.
Community & Professional
- South Carolina State Ethics Commission, Commissioner, 2014-2017
- Greenville County Bar Association: formerly served as President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, head of Law Week committee and editor of Greenville County Bar Association newsletter
- Chair of the Upstate Region of South Carolina District Council of the Urban Land Institute, 2016-2017
- Graduate of the Urban Land Institute South Carolina Sustainable Leadership Institute, Class of 2008-2009
- Represented a private developer in connection with all aspects of the development and construction of a LEED-certified multi-story office building located on the campus of the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research in Greenville.
- Represented a large publicly traded company in the development of a master planned corporate campus.
- Performed economic incentive work for an out-of-state manufacturer in connection with a project investment in excess of $100 million.
- Economic Development "Lawyer of the Year" for Greenville by Best Lawyers, 2020
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for "Lawyer of the Year" for Real Estate in Greenville, S.C. in 2013
- Greenville Business Magazine's Legal Elite of the Upstate, 2012-2019
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Real Estate, South Carolina 2011-2020
- Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers, 2011, 2013 – present
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law and Real Estate Law, Since 2005
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell since 2008
- Speaker, "The Commercial Real Estate Market is Alive & Kicking! Are You Prepared?," SC Bar CLE Seminar, November 2012
- Practical Guide to Commercial Real Estate in South Carolina, author of "Commercial Leasing" chapter
Across the Carolinas, the food and beverage industry is growing, and the hospitality and tourism sectors are benefitting from that growth, too. Join Nexsen Pruet for an industry update highlighting trends, challenges, and recent successes.
Jim Warren discusses considerations for where real estate companies should focus their efforts following COVID-19.
- South Carolina