Jay Hennig has more than two decades of experience in the securities, corporate, limited liability company, nonprofit, partnership, and mergers and acquisitions areas. He assists clients in a wide range of business transactions, including entity formations, securities offerings, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, as well as financings of all sizes. He forms and advises private entities, joint ventures, partnerships, nonprofits, and limited liability companies. As the leader of the firm’s public securities practice area, he also advises and serves as outside general and securities counsel to a number of public entities. Jay also aids private companies in raising capital in securities offerings which are either registered or exempt from the registration requirements. He also advises banks and associations in the Farm Credit System.
Since 2003, Jay has been included in The Best Lawyers in America in both the corporate law and securities law areas. He previously served as the chairman of the firm's corporate practice group, and is also a member of the firm’s legal opinions committee.
Jay is a past chairman of the Corporate, Securities and Banking Section of the South Carolina Bar. He is a member of the South Carolina Bar's legislative committees involving limited liability company and corporate law issues. He is a frequent speaker on various corporate, limited liability company and securities topics. Jay is also the published reporter for the State of South Carolina in the State Limited Liability Company & Partnership Laws treatise.
Active in the local community, Jay has served in leadership roles with several charitable organizations, including as President of the Indian Waters Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
Jay received a B.A. degree in economics from Washington & Lee University and his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law, where he was a member of the South Carolina Law Review.
Community & Professional
- Indian Waters Council of the Boy Scouts of America, Past President
- Heathwood Hall Episcopal School, Past Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Carolina Children's Home, Former Director
- South Carolina Philharmonic, Former Trustee
- American Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Eastminster Presbyterian Church - Columbia, SC
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- "Legal Elite of the Midlands" - Corporate Law, 2019 and Legal Elite Top Vote Recipient in 2020
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation- Securities in Columbia, S.C. for 2019 and 2020
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, Litigation- Securities, Securities/ Capital Markets Law and Securities Regulation, Since 2003
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A, South Carolina, Recognized Practitioner 2018-2019
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
The Farm Credit Administration, which is the regulator for the Farm Credit System, has been very active recently in modifying how Farm Credit institutions must govern themselves. Jay Hennig explains one recent development from the FCA which modifies how the annual elections are to be conducted.
- South Carolina