If you live in South Carolina, you've likely been to a meeting, convention or golf course that was one of Ed Menzie's projects.
Ed received his undergraduate degree from the University of South Carolina and graduated magna cum laude (first honor graduate) from the USC School of Law.
Over the years Ed has combined extensive corporate, finance, real estate and securities experience in the representation of a variety of clients in high profile transactions. This includes real estate and real estate financing transaction of almost every type, from 750,000 square foot high-rise office towers to 20,000 acre waterfront land acquisitions. He has also served as disclosure counsel for a number of project financing transactions, and lead counsel in various large M&A and securities transactions, including IPOs.
Ed's overall real estate experience includes the development of over 2.5 million square feet of commercial office space and MOBs, as well as public and public-private facilities, such as the South Carolina State Museum, the University of South Carolina Research Campus and the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center. Ed has also been involved in over twenty golf-related transactions, represented institutional clients in the acquisition of over 200,000 acres of timberland, and helped create the Jocassee Gorges State Park in upstate South Carolina and Bridgestone/Firestone Centennial Wilderness in central Tennessee.
Ed recently authored a chapter in Closing Opinions for the South Carolinas Bar's "Practical Guide to Commercial Real Estate in South Carolina."
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
Outside Nexsen Pruet
"I lead a simple life."
"I brought in a tennis racquet and golf club because when I have time, I like to play tennis for exercise and golf for humility. I am blessed to have great clients and great work. However, their challenging projects are actually part of my personal life because they often demand a 24/7 focus."
"When I do have down time, my wife and I travel and I collect art- all sorts of art. My father used to collect art in Chicago, so as I was growing up, I was used to art coming and going all the time."
Since Best Lawyers in America® was first published in 1983, Ed has been listed. He is just one of 15 South Carolina attorneys to accomplish the feat. Best Lawyers has also named Ed as a "Lawyer of the Year" four times:
- Mergers & Acquisitions - "Lawyer of the Year" for 2013
- Real Estate Law - "Lawyer of the Year" for 2012
- Real Estate Law - "Lawyer of the Year" for 2011
- Corporate Law - "Lawyer of the Year" for 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elite of the Midlands, 2018
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A , South Carolina in 2020, 2021, 2022 and Real Estate Law, South Carolina in 2020, 2021, 2022
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Real Estate Law and Securities/Capital Markets Law and Securities Regulation Law, Since 1983
- Listed in Best Lawyer's in America for "Lawyer of the Year" in Columbia, S.C. in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Former member of Board of Directors for two of South Carolina's largest real estate development corporations
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- South Carolina