Dave Pokela is experienced and widely respected for his background in real estate litigation, land use litigation, and commercial litigation. He litigates and resolves disputes from the mountains to the coast, and he regularly relies upon his 20-plus years of experience to develop creative strategies and solutions in addressing complex real estate and commercial issues.
A History of Getting Things Done
Since joining the firm in 1992, clients have trusted Dave to represent them in hundreds of challenging cases. He regularly represents:
- Major utility companies in connection with real estate and land use disputes
- Companies and individuals in prosecuting and defending claims in the North Carolina Business Court
- Developers against Interstate Land Sales Act and Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practice claims
- Commercial landlords and tenants in complex commercial lease disputes
- Officers and directors against high stakes claims of breach of fiduciary duty
- Developers in upholding CAMA permits issued for development on beachfront property
- Major window manufacturers against claims arising from defective construction
- Title insurance companies in connection with coverage disputes and title claims
- Professionals against claims of malpractice
- National companies against asbestos claims being litigated in federal court
- Commercial landlords and developers against ADA claims in federal courts
Dave also obtains rezonings and special or conditional use permits, as well as other local government approvals, across NC on behalf of telecommunications, industrial, and developer clients.
Dave’s history of getting things done has earned him recognition as one of North Carolina’s top lawyers in his field by several industry ratings systems.
Dave has been named among the Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of "Litigation – Real Estate" and "Real Estate Law," he has earned the distinction as a North Carolina Super Lawyer® for "Real Estate Law," and he also has been named among North Carolina's "Legal Elite" by Business North Carolina magazine.
Dave frequently speaks before industry groups and lawyers on topics related to his practice. He has authored numerous articles in publications and has served in leadership positions for several professional associations.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Real Estate Section and Litigation Section, Former Newsletter Co-Editor, Real Estate Litigation Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association, Former Council Member, Real Property Section Council; Former Council Member, Land Use Section Council; Former Chairman, Real Property Litigation Committee of the Real Property Section Council
Outside Nexsen Pruet
Early in the morning before work or before his kids wake up on the weekend, Dave can be found training for any of a number of endurance events.
In 2011, Dave finished a full length Ironman triathlon in Madison, Wisconsin. In addition, the year before that, he completed the Leadville 100 mile mountain bike race which takes place at altitudes ranging from 10,000 feet to 12,600 feet above sea level. Dave also has completed 9 ultramarathon trail run races ranging from 31 miles to 50 miles. Just for kicks, he has entered and twice completed the 34 mile Birkebeiner cross country ski marathon in Wisconsin.
- Named among North Carolina's "Legal Elite" by Business North Carolina magazine, 2014
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Litigation–Real Estate and Real Estate Law since 2013
- Listed in Best Layers in America for "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation–Real Estate in Greensboro, N.C. in 2015, 2019 and 2023
- Listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers® for Real Estate Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- 02.15.2021 | Video
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina