Angus H. Macaulay is certified as a Specialist in Employment and Labor law by the South Carolina Supreme Court. He represents management in employment litigation matters, and these include the defense of discrimination claims. Angus has also defended and prosecuted claims involving restrictive covenants such as non-competition and confidentiality agreements. As a part of his practice, he provides practical advice to employers on ways to minimize litigation risks and comply with federal and state employment laws. Angus is a frequent lecturer on employment-related topics.
Angus's practice also includes representing corporate clients in civil litigation in state and federal courts. He has represented insurers in bad faith and breach of contract actions. He has defended lending institutions from claims of civil RICO and breach of contract claims, and he has represented corporate clients in shareholder "squeeze-out" and unfair trade practice actions.
Angus is also a certified mediator. He has mediated numerous employment, business and personal injury lawsuits.
In 2003, the University of South Carolina School of Law Alumni Association honored Angus with its Compleat Lawyer Silver Award in recognition for 14 years of practicing law. This award recognizes attorneys for "Competence, Ethics and Integrity."
Angus has served on the boards of several local civic organizations. He was the 2012-2013 President of the South Carolina Bar, and he remains active in the Bar.
Angus is a native of Richmond, Virginia. He received his B.A. in English from Sewanee: University of the South. He received his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law.
Ritter v. Union Camp Corporation, 12 Fed.Appx. 150, 2001 WL 681703 (4th Cir. 2001).
American Fidelity Assurance Company v. Boyer, 225 F.R.D. 520 (D.S.C. 2004).
Carolina Care Plan, Inc. v. United Healthcare Services, Inc., 361 S.C. 544, 606 S.E.2d 752 (S.C. 2004).
Peery v. Carolina Care Plan Incorporated, 144 Fed.Appx. 300, 2005 WL 1690548 (4th Cir. 2005).
WEC Carolina Energy Solutions, LLC v. Miller, 2011WL379458 (D.S.C. 2011).
WEC Carolina Energy Solutions, LLC v. Miller, 687 F.3d 199, 36 IER Cases 874 (4th Cir. 2012).
Enersys Delaware, Inc. v. Hopkins, 401 S.C. 615, 738 S.E.2d 478 (S.C. 2013).
Riemann v. Palmetto Gems & Gemological Services, Inc., 2015WL904818 (S.C. Ct. App. 2015).
Machinery Solutions, Inc. v. Doosan Corporation, 2015WL5554357 (D.S.C. 2015).
Community & Professional
- South Carolina Cancer Center, Chair of Board of Directors (1999)
- South Columbia Development Corporation, Member (1993-2001)
- South Carolina State Library Foundation, Treasurer (2005-2008)
- Member of ABA's National Conference of Bar Presidents of the ABA, Program and Membership Committees
South Carolina Bar Involvement:
- Immediate Past President (2013-2014)
- President (2012-2013)
- President-Elect (2011-2012)
- Treasurer (2010-2011)
- Board of Governors (2000-2002; 2010-2014)
- Young Lawyers Division, President (1999-2000)
- House of Delegates, Member (2000-Present)
- South Carolina Bar Foundation, Inc., Director (1995-1998) (2011-2013)
Outside Nexsen Pruet
When he is not practicing law, Angus lives with his wife Tonya and their children Angus, Jr., and Kenzie (and 3 dogs) on Lake Murray.
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- "Leadership in Law" Award Presented by South Carolina Lawyer's Weekly (March 12, 2015)
- "House Resolution to Recognize and Honor Angus H. Macaulay for his Outstanding and Dedicated Service as the 2012-2013 President of the South Carolina Bar" - South Carolina House of Representatives (May 15, 2015)
- President, South Carolina Bar (2012-2013)
- Columbia Business Magazine's Legal Elite of the Midlands, 2012 , 2019, 2022
- Compleat Lawyer Silver Award, USC School of Law Alumni Association (2003)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law- Management and Litigation- Labor and Employment, Since 2013
- Recognized by South Carolina Super Lawyers, Employment Litigation (2009)
- Certified Specialist by the SC Supreme Court, Labor and Employment Law
- Certified Mediator
May 8th, 2019 "Private Eyes: Surveillance and Privacy in the Workplace," (Nexsen Pruet Employment Quarterly Breakfast Briefing)
September 15, 2016 "Mock Mediation," (SHRM Workshop)
August 8-9, 2016 "Employee and Supervisory Training on new Handbook and Important Employee Laws," (Client Presentation)
August 4, 2016 "How Conciliatory Should You Be?" (article)
April 21, 2016 “How to Hire and Keep Great Employees” (Columbia SHRM presentation)
March 17, 2016 “How to Hire and Keep Great Employees” (Client Presentation)
January 26, 2016 – “How to Retain your Great Employees” (Nexsen Pruet Employment Quarterly Breakfast Briefing)
September 17, 2015 – “Documenting Employee Evaluations and Discipline” (Client Presentation)
August 21, 2015 “Fourth Circuit adopts joint employer test for Title VII claims” (article)
April 16, 2015 – “Little Known South Carolina Employment Laws” (SHRM Workshop)
February 14, 2015 – “Overview of NC and SC Employment Laws” (Nexsen Pruet HR Certificate Series)
June 10, 2014 – “Employee and Supervisory Training and New Handbook” (Client Presentation)
September 17, 2013 – “Tough HR Questions or Should I Call my Lawyer” (Nexsen Pruet Employment Quarterly Breakfast Briefing)
July 9, 2013 – “Important Employee Laws” (Client Presentation)
May 16, 2013 – “Report of the SC Bar President” (SC Bar House of Delegates Meeting)
May 31, 2013 - "S.C. Bar Economic Study"
April 29, 2013 – “Presentation of Transitions: Legal Issues for Parents of Special Needs Children Transitioning to Adulthood at Oak Pointe Elementary School” (SC Bar)
January 24, 2013 – “Report of the SC Bar President” (SC Bar Convention)
September 14, 2012 – “What can the SC Bar to help your practice” (Solo and Small Law Firm meeting)
August 23, 2012 – “Convocation Address” (Charleston School of Law)
May 12, 2012 – “Future of the SC Bar” (SC Bar House of Delegates Meeting)
March 6, 2012 – “Important SC Employment Laws” (West Columbia, SC Rotary Club)
January 10-11, 2012 – “Employee and Supervisor Training” (Client Presentation)
September 17, 2011 – “Don’t Spring a Leak: How to Keep your Employees from ‘Leaking’ Company Information” (Nexsen Pruet Employment Quarterly Breakfast Briefing)
February 8, 2011 – “Defending Your Company in a SC Unemployment Hearing” (SC Chamber of Commerce)
- 08.19.2022 | Media Mention
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- 08.17.2021 | News from Nexsen Pruet
- 10.06.2021 | Article
- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina