Intellectual Property Paralegal/Legal Practice Assistant
Nexsen Pruet, PLLC is seeking an experienced Intellectual Property Paralegal/Legal Practice Assistant.
Position Location: Charlotte, NC; Raleigh, NC; or Greenville, SC
- Prior experience supporting attorneys with an intellectual property practice
- Must have knowledge of USPTO rules and procedures
- Extensive knowledge and skills in utilizing the Internet, Adobe Acrobat, U.S. Patent Office Electronic Filing System; Trademark Electronic Application System, experience with legal research tools preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including MSWord, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints
- Ability to proofread materials for contextual, grammatical, typographical or spelling errors
- Must have strong organizational, decision-making skills and problem solving skills
- Assist with preparing correspondence to foreign associates, ensuring transmission of all required documents, and work with foreign associates through compliance with local required filing formalities, including legalization of documents, if necessary.
- Monitor status to ensure timely filing of request for examination and dates for payment of requisite maintenance fees in patent cases.
- Review granted patent documents to determine maintenance requirements and calculate term.
- Work with attorneys and clients regarding validation procedure after grant of European patents.
- Work with attorneys upon receipt of office actions issued by domestic offices to ensure proper instructions and timely responses in patent and trademark cases.
- Filing and maintaining US trademarks.
- Filing US copyrights.
- Review granted trademark documents to determine renewal dates and use requirements.
- Execute searches on U.S. and international patent databases re: patent family information, ownership/inventor information and other data as needed.
- Work with attorneys to prepare and file applications with the USPTO with regard to formality requirements, including electronic filing of all documents with the USPTO.
- Monitor cases and prepare and file Information Disclosure Statements.
- Monitor status and work with attorneys/clients re possible priority-based PCT and/or other foreign applications.
- Work with attorneys to ensure timely responses to Office Actions, payment of issue fees, and submission of formal drawings.
- Coordinating meetings
- Interacting with clients
- Time entry
- Running conflicts
- Opening and maintaining client files, including filing
- Processing client bills and expense reimbursements
- Travel logistics
Competitive salary and benefits package offered. Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to our HR department by using the form below, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.