Conflicts Manager - Columbia, SC
Nexsen Pruet is searching for a Conflicts Manager. As a Conflicts Manager, you will be responsible for ensuring efficiency in the daily operations of conflicts checking for the Firm, liaising with attorneys regarding the conflicts process, being the primary point person for escalation of conflicts issues for attorneys, hiring, training and managing the Conflicts team located in Columbia, South Carolina. The Conflicts Department ensures new matters and attorney hires are compliant with the Firm’s conflicts and risk management policies and procedures.
- Applying organizational and communication skills while displaying a positive, high-energy attitude.
- Well-developed and professional interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface with attorneys, management, support staff, and outside contacts.
- Ability to work collaboratively with attorneys in a high-paced environment to identify and resolve issues while providing excellent customer service is desired.
- Must be able to use independent judgment and discretion when making decisions, as well as displaying excellent leadership skills necessary for effective management.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of six (6) years’ work experience, including working directly with attorneys/partners, at a mid to large law firm is required, as well as a minimum of four (4) years conflicts experience.
- Working closely with attorneys and the Conflicts Department to ensure the provision of timely and effective conflicts services.
- Serving as primary point of contact for the Conflicts Department for attorneys and staff during business hours, assisting with solving problems, providing updates, triaging requests, and ensuring overall efficient services.
- Supervising the Conflicts Department staff.
- Assisting with streamlining and management of complex and/or urgent conflict check requests.
- Liaising with the Firm’s General Counsel to ensure compliance with conflicts policies as well as coordination on lateral hire checks for all offices.
- Involved in the training and orientation program for new staff members and acts as a lead for orientation and training for conflicts staff.
- Assuming a role to assist the Firm’s General Counsel on conflict issues, new policies and/or procedures, problem solving, complaint resolution and special projects.
- Assisting attorneys and staff with workflow and helping ensure that all tasks and duties are completed within the requested period and adhere to the Firm’s guidelines and policies.
- Assisting with complex/high-level conflict checks as needed to meet deadlines and attorney expectations.
- Working collaboratively with the Firm’s General Counsel, Management and attorneys to ensure awareness of high priority issues, concerns or issues with attorneys, as well as a unified approach to long-term projects.
- Working with attorneys and staff on ad-hoc special projects that support the development of the Conflicts Department and Conflicts team.
- Promoting effective work practices, working as a team member and show respect for co-workers.
- Working with General Counsel to develop and maintain best practices, forms, exemplars and other work product to assist the Firm and its attorneys with compliance with ethical rules across the jurisdictions in which the Firm does business.
- Managing a team of Conflict Analysts to ensure searches are run promptly, correctly, and analyzed efficiently.
Although the Firm’s General Counsel and some of its senior management are located in the Columbia, South Carolina office, the Firm will consider candidates who would work in one of the Firm’s eight other offices.