Nexsen Pruet is searching for a Conflicts Attorney. This well-qualified attorney will manage the Firm’s Conflict Department. The Conflicts Attorney will be responsible for a team that identifies, analyzes and resolves potential conflicts of interest and works directly with the Firm’s attorneys to clear conflicts. The Conflicts Department ensures new matters and attorney hires are compliant with the Firm’s conflicts and risk management policies and procedures. The Conflicts Attorney reports directly to and works closely with the Firm’s General Counsel.
- Juris Doctorate degree (JD) or equivalent and active member of the Bar in good standing.
- At least three (3) years’ experience as a Conflicts Attorney in a mid to large law firm setting with demonstrated research and complex problem-solving skills strongly preferred. Experience with analyzing and advising on US conflicts rules is required.
- Ability to oversee and supervise staff members as needed by the Department.
- Database searching experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word).
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive data; excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Close attention to detail; fast thinker and ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Experience with Aderant, Intapp, or other conflicts applications is preferred.
The Conflicts Attorney is responsible for clearing conflicts for new clients, new matters, and additional party submissions, as well as new attorney hires. Duties include:
- Analyzing conflicts reports, identifying potential conflicts.
- Performing legal research, including review of case law and jurisdictional issues related to conflict clearance, lateral hiring, ethical walls, and related issues.
- Communicating with Firm attorneys and management.
- Producing jurisdiction-specific waiver and notice letters and engagement letters as needed.
- Confirming need for establishing ethical walls, as needed.
- Liaising with General Counsel and other Firm attorneys to identify business conflict issues.
- Working with General Counsel on formal and informal training on conflicts and other ethical issues.
- Answering queries from professional staff across the Firm concerning conflict checks and processes.
- Working with General Counsel to develop and maintain best practices, forms, exemplars and other work product to assist the Firm and its attorneys with compliance with ethical rules across the jurisdictions in which the Firm does business.
- Managing a team of Conflict Analysts to ensure searches are run promptly, correctly, and analyzed efficiently.
The Conflicts Attorney will occasionally be asked to respond to inquiries or issues after-hours, weekends or holidays. Although the Firm’s General Counsel and some of its senior management are located in the Columbia, South Carolina office, the Firm will consider candidates who would work in one of the Firm’s eight other offices.