William H. Floyd, III practices labor and employment law including employee benefits litigation.
Mr. Floyd has more than twenty years of experience counseling employers of all sizes regarding day-to-day as well as complex human resource issues.
Mr. Floyd's experience is broad-based and includes labor arbitrations, collective bargaining, unfair labor practice charges, union campaigns, employment discrimination claims, OSHA and ERISA-related cases.
For more than twenty years, Mr. Floyd has helped employers in multiple states and industries (e.g. automotive, heavy manufacturing, chemical, textile and health care) remain union-free. For unionized employers he has negotiated collective bargaining agreements, arbitrated contractual disputes, and advised companies how to re-gain their union-free status.
Mr. Floyd litigates wrongful discharge, discrimination, employee benefits, non-competition covenants, and wage and hour disputes.
- National ERISA counsel for a company with more than 80,000 employees
- Successfully concluded FLSA matter involving more than 1000 employees
- Successfully defended numerous wrongful discharge and discrimination claims in multiple jurisdictions and states
Mr. Floyd excels at helping clients avoid costly legal problems through such things as strategic planning with management and interactive training with all supervisory levels.
Mr. Floyd received his B.A., magna cum laude, from Wofford College.
- Certified Arbitrator (SC)
- Certified Mediator (SC and USDSC)
- Certified Labor and Employment Specialist
- South Carolina Bar - Employment and Labor Law Section (Past Chairman)
- Best Lawyers in America, Labor & Employment Law since 2008
- South Carolina Super Lawyer in Employment and Labor Law since 2009
- Society for Human Resource Managers, Columbia Chapter (President, 2008-2009)
- Greenville Young Lawyers Association (Former President)
- Leadership Greenville - Class of 1997
- Leadership Columbia - Class of 1998
- Midlands Special Needs Foundation (Board of Directors)
- BSA Troop 221 (Committee Member)
- Adjunct Professor, U.S.C. School of Law (1999)
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Twenty-Eight Named to 2013 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce the attorneys who have been listed in the 2013 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- Nexsen Pruet Helps Employers Comply as Health Care Law Deadlines Loom
To help businesses comply with deadlines of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), Nexsen Pruet’s Employment and Labor Law group is hosting seminars on September 25th in South Carolina and on October 3rd in North Carolina.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the Best Lawyers in America® list for 2013.
- "Veterans' rights put compliance onus on former employers"
Nexsen Pruet employment attorney, William Floyd, discusses with Business Insurance magazine, the challenges employers may face with USSERA law compliance and so many veterns returning to the workforce.
- Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Twenty-Four Named to 2012 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that twenty-four attorneys have been listed in the 2012 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- "Social media in the workplace"
Charleston's The Post and Courier features an article entitled "Social media in the workplace; Employers must balance the benefits and pitfalls of online interaction" following a webinar hosted by Nexsen Pruet attorneys David Dubberly and William Floyd.
- Webinar to Help Businesses Deal with Social Media
Social media can benefit businesses, but Facebook, Twitter and other sites are leading to new challenges for those who manage and supervise employees. What can you do when a worker complains on a social media page? Can bosses mandate how workers behave on-line? Nexsen Pruet will update businesses on these issues…
- 62 Attorneys Named to the 2012 Edition of Best Lawyers®
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 62 of its attorneys have been named to the 2012 edition of Best Lawyers®.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Sixteen Named to 2011 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that sixteen attorneys have been listed in the 2011 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®. Those attorneys practice in firm’s Charleston, Columbia, Greenville and Myrtle Beach offices.
- Magazine Names Twelve Attorneys to “Legal Elite” List
Twelve Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been listed in Greater Columbia Business Monthly's “Legal Elite” for 2010.
- "S.C. lawyers update businesses about revamped unemployment system"
Nexsen Pruet attorney William Floyd speaks to South Carolina Lawyers Weekly for an article entitled "S.C. lawyers update businesses about revamped unemployment system."
- Fifty-nine Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®; Five Practice Areas Listed Among Top in the Carolinas
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 59 of its attorneys have been named to the 2011 edition of Best Lawyers®.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized by Their Peers
Nineteen Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the 2010 list of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- SC Chamber of Commerce - "HR Minutes: Employment Security Commission"
Each month, the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce produces an interview segment called "HR Minutes."
For January 2010, the chamber's human resources director Tim Timmons spoke with Nexsen Pruet Employment and Labor Law attorney William Floyd about the Employment Security Commission (ESC).
- William Floyd on SC's Unemployment Debt
Nexsen Pruet employment and labor law attorney William Floyd discusses problems in funding South Carolina's unemployment system with Mike Switzer on the South Carolina Business Review on SC ETV Radio.
- Nexsen Pruet Earns Designation as 'Midlands Green Business'
Nexsen Pruet has earned designation as a Midlands Green Business, joining other Columbia-area organizations that are committed to environmentally responsible practices in the workplace.
- Fifty-eight Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®
Fifty-eight Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.
- Twenty-Five Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named Among South Carolina’s Super Lawyers®
Twenty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the 2009 list of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- Governor Appoints Floyd to Disabilities Council
William Floyd III, an employment and labor attorney in Nexsen Pruet’s Columbia office, has joined The South Carolina Developmental Disabilities Council.
- "Q&A: Understanding S.C.’s unemployment system"
Nexsen Pruet attorney William Floyd was interviewed for a "News Extra" in the Saturday, February 7th, edition of The State.
- Nexsen Pruet Video Featured on Website
The Employment Law Information Network features Nexsen Pruet on its website.
- Video - "Employment Law: How Will the 2008 Election Impact You and Your Business?"
Employers can expect that efforts will be made to significantly change employment and labor laws and regulations over the next several months. Nexsen Pruet Employment and Labor Law attorneys David Dubberly, William Floyd, Cherie Blackburn and Mike Brittingham provide a briefing to help clients prepare for the changes.
- Employment Law: How Will the 2008 Election Impact You and Your Business?
With the election of Senator Barack Obama as President, and the Democratic Party gaining seats in the House of Representatives and the Senate, employers can expect that efforts will be made to significantly change employment and labor laws and regulations over the next several months.
- Election 2008: How Will the Outcome Impact You and Your Business?
The election offered three outcomes, all of which could have had a significant impact on how the federal government operates for the next two years and on your business interests.
- 45 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers
Columbia, SC – Forty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2009 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. The publication also ranks Nexsen Pruet #1 in eleven practice areas in South Carolina and three in North Carolina.
- William Floyd joins S.C. Chamber of Commerce Board
William Floyd III, an employment and labor attorney in Nexsen Pruet’s Columbia office, will serve on the 2008-2009 Board of Directors of the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce.
- 38 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Names To "The Best Lawyers in America 2008"
Thirty-eight attorneys from Nexsen Pruet, LLC were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2008 – including six who have now earned the honor for 10 years or more.
- Americans with Disabilities Act UPDATE - Employment Law Briefing Covers Recent Developments
Employers constantly struggle with how to apply important ADA requirements to day-to-day issues that arise in the workplace. Please join us for a free breakfast briefing for employers about recent developments under the ADA.
- Wofford College, B.A., 1984
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of SC
Civic & Professional Memberships
- SC Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Society for Human Resource Managers, Columbia Chapter
- Midlands Special Needs Foundation
- South Carolina Bar
- Lexington School District One Educational Foundation, Board Member