Briani Bennett Mellen is an associate in the firm's Tax group and practices in the Columbia office. Her law practice is primarily focused is in the areas of federal and state income taxation and estate planning.
Mrs. Bennett Mellen's experience also includes:
- Gift tax planning
- Generation-skipping transfer tax
- Trust and estate administration
- Closely-held business succession
While attending the New York University School of Law for an LL.M. in Taxation, Mrs. Bennett Mellen served as a graduate editor on the Tax Law Review. As a student at the University of South Carolina School of Law, she served on the editorial staff of the South Carolina Law Review and received honorary society membership admission to the Order of the Coif and Order of the Wig and Robe.
After law school, Mrs. Bennett Mellen completed a federal clerkship with the Honorable Joseph F. Anderson, Jr. of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina. During her practice of law, she has written extensively on matters involving trust administration and trust decanting - the ability to distribute property from one trust to another.
Mrs. Bennett Mellen is a native of Lexington, SC and enjoys spending time with her husband and two dogs.
- Recipient of the Tax Law Review Scholarship from New York University School of Law
- Federal district court clerkship with the Honorable Joseph F. Anderson, Jr.
Panelist on trust decanting at the 9th Annual North Carolina/South Carolina Tax Section Workshops, May 28th-30, 2010, at Kiawah Island, SC
- Emory University, B.A., Economics
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- South Carolina