Susan P. McWilliams has over 25 years of experience as a trial lawyer defending individuals and corporations in business torts, employment, products liability, professional liability, contract, and many other commercial disputes. She is a Fellow in the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers.
Ms. McWilliams graduated with high honor from Agnes Scott College, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She is a magna cum laude graduate of the Mercer University Law School, where she was the Student Writing Editor of the law review.
Married and the mother of three children, Ms. McWilliams is active in her church and is a sustaining member of the Junior League of Columbia.
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, SC Chapter
- Best Lawyers in America - Labor and Employment Law Section since 2005
- South Carolina Super Lawyer in Employent and Labor Law since 2008
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers - Employment Law and Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation, "Local Litigation Star" - Columbia
- South Carolina Ethics Commission - Board Member, 2005-2008; Chair, 2009-2010
- YWCA - TWIN (Tribute to Women and Industry) Award - 1997
- Richland County Bar Association - Past President
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Twenty-Eight Named to 2013 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce the attorneys who have been listed in the 2013 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- "Gov.'s commission suggests 'clean, honest' ethics plan"
Nexsen Pruet attorney Susi McWilliams served on the South Carolina Commission on Ethics which presented its plan on Monday, January 28 in Columbia.
- "SC governor creates ethics panel"
Nexsen Pruet attorney, Susi McWilliams, has agreed to serve on the South Carolina Ethics Reform Panel at the request of Governor Nikki Haley.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the Best Lawyers in America® list for 2013.
- Cherry and McWilliams Named to List of Top 250 Women in Litigation
Nexsen Pruet attorneys Molly Hughes Cherry and Susi McWilliams have been named as two of the Top 250 Women in Litigation by legal publishers Benchmark Litigation.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys and Practice Groups Ranked Among Top in the Carolinas
Nexsen Pruet attorneys and practice areas have been recognized by a leading legal directory in both North and South Carolina.
- Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Twenty-Four Named to 2012 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that twenty-four attorneys have been listed in the 2012 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- Legal Publication Recognizes Five Nexsen Pruet Attorneys
Five attorneys have been recognized by Benchmark Litigation.
- Eight Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named as “Lawyer of the Year” for 2012
Legal publication The Best Lawyers in America ® has named eight Nexsen Pruet attorneys to its list of the “2012 Lawyers of the Year.” They are Cherie Blackburn, Henry Brown, Mark Knight, Susi McWilliams, Rick Mendoza, Ed Menzie, David Senter and Mary Shahid.
- 62 Attorneys Named to the 2012 Edition of Best Lawyers®
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 62 of its attorneys have been named to the 2012 edition of Best Lawyers®.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys and Practice Groups Rated Among Top in the Carolinas
The newly released 2011 edition of Chambers USA lists fourteen attorneys as “Leaders in their Field” and gives high marks to the firm in six practice areas.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Sixteen Named to 2011 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that sixteen attorneys have been listed in the 2011 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®. Those attorneys practice in firm’s Charleston, Columbia, Greenville and Myrtle Beach offices.
- Fifty-nine Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®; Five Practice Areas Listed Among Top in the Carolinas
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 59 of its attorneys have been named to the 2011 edition of Best Lawyers®.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys and Practice Groups Rated Among Top in South Carolina
A leading legal directory has ranked Nexsen Pruet attorneys and practices among the top in South Carolina.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized by Their Peers
Nineteen Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the 2010 list of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- "Casual Fridays with a Purpose" and "Midlands Finds Creative Ways to Help Haiti"
Columbia TV stations report on fundraisers for Haiti at Nexsen Pruet and Ag First Farm Credit Bank.
- Nexsen Pruet Earns Designation as 'Midlands Green Business'
Nexsen Pruet has earned designation as a Midlands Green Business, joining other Columbia-area organizations that are committed to environmentally responsible practices in the workplace.
- Fifty-eight Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®
Fifty-eight Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.
- Legal Directory Publisher Ranks Four Nexsen Pruet Practice Areas Among Top in State; Eleven Attorneys Rated for Excellence
The 2009 edition of Chambers USA ranks four of Nexsen Pruet’s practice areas and eleven attorneys among the best in South Carolina.
- Twenty-Five Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named Among South Carolina’s Super Lawyers®
Twenty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the 2009 list of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- Susi McWilliams Honored with 2008 Matthew Perry Civility Award
Nexsen Pruet announced today that Susi McWilliams is the recipient of the 2008 Matthew Perry Civility Award. The Richland County Bar Association presented the award to McWilliams at its annual meeting last night at the Columbia Museum of Art.
- 45 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers
Columbia, SC – Forty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2009 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. The publication also ranks Nexsen Pruet #1 in eleven practice areas in South Carolina and three in North Carolina.
- Legal Directory Publisher Ranks 11 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys for Excellence; Four Practice Areas Rated Among Top in State
- 18 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named Among South Carolina's "Super Lawyers"
- 38 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Names To "The Best Lawyers in America 2008"
Thirty-eight attorneys from Nexsen Pruet, LLC were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2008 – including six who have now earned the honor for 10 years or more.
- Legal Publisher Recognizes Ten Nexsen Pruet Attorneys For Excellence; Three Practices Areas Again Rated No. 1
Ten Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named among the top legal practitioners in their fields in the 2007 edition of the Chambers USA Guide, and three of the firm’s practice areas were rated No. 1 in South Carolina.
- Agnes Scott College, B.A., 1977, high honor
- W. F. George School of Law, Mercer University, J.D., 1982, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
Civic & Professional Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
- Georgia Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association