Since 1989, Tim Hewson has exclusively represented health care providers. He regularly counsels hospitals, long-term care facilities, multi-specialty physician practices and other health care entities on the following issues:
- Managed care
- Acquisitions and reorganizations
- Hospital / physician joint ventures
- Stark and Anti-Kickback advice
- Governmental investigations
- Physician recruiting and employment
- Medical director agreements
- Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law)since 2009
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
Large multi-hospital health system
Physician Integration Advice
- Advise client on various physician arrangements including joint ventures, employment agreements, hospital-based physician agreements and independent contractor agreements.
Compliance Program Advice
- Advise client in assessing compliance program and developing refinements to policies and procedures for physician arrangements and HIPAA compliance.
Large multi-specialty physician group
Advice on Joint Ventures
- Advise client on the creation and formation of joint ventures, including structuring high tech equipment leases in compliance with applicable Federal and State compliance.
Advice on Asset Sale
- Advise large multi-specialty physician group in negotiating sale of an ambulatory surgery center and related transactions.
- Advise client in syndication of ambulatory surgery center to physicians.
- Advise client regarding outsourcing /services arrangements.
Tim is also general counsel to multiple hospitals and in that role, he has:
- Developed multiple ambulatory surgery centers owned jointly by the hospital and a group of physicians.
- Negotiated and developed exclusive service agreements for multiple services including pathology, cardiology, anesthesiology, radiology and ER.
- Assisted a governmental hospital client in the development and implementation of a new compliance policy. As a result of this process, the client now possesses an up-to-date, user-friendly compliance policy that is applicable to the day to day operations of a hospital.
- Advised on board governance issues including standards of care and conflicts of interest policies concluding in the development of revised policies in these areas.
- Structured physician recruitment, independent contractor, employment and joint ventures arrangements.
Co-presenter, "Evaluating Physician Affiliation & Network Integration: A Conversation for Boards & Administration", South Carolina Hospital Association Annual Trustees, Administrator and Physicians (“TAP”) meeting, Hilton Head, SC - September 2012
Co-Presenter, FQHC & Hospital Forum on Collaboration, South Carolina Hospital Association, July 2011
Co-presenter, "Anti-trust Issues in the Managed Care World," South Carolina Hospital Association, July 2010
Tim Hewson of the firm's Columbia office presented "Physician Recruiting: The Legal Boundaries and Contracting" to the Carolinas Association of Physician Services in Asheville, North Carolina. The presentation dealt with Stark and Anti-kickback issues, state self-referral/kickback laws and federal tax issues.
Tim Hewson of the firm's Columbia office presented "Pay-for-Performance," a new method of reimbursement being tested by Medicare and other private payers. The presentation was to the South Carolina Healthcare Managers Association and was given at Palmetto Health Baptist.
- University of South Carolina, B.A., 1983
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
Civic & Professional Memberships
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Financial Management Association