Julian (“Jay”) Hennig III has more than two decades of experience in the securities, corporate, limited liability company, partnership, and mergers and acquisitions areas. He assists clients in a wide range of business transactions, including securities offerings, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, as well as financings of all sizes. He forms and advises private entities, joint ventures, partnerships, and limited liability companies. As the leader of firm’s public securities practice area, he also advises and serves as outside general and securities counsel to a number of public entities. Jay also aids private companies in raising capital in securities offerings which are either registered or exempt from the registration requirements.
Since 2003, Jay has been included in The Best Lawyers in America in both the corporate law and securities law areas. During 1999-2000, Jay served as the Chairman of the Corporate, Banking and Securities Section of the South Carolina Bar. Jay previously served as the chairman of the firm's corporate practice group. He also is a member of the firm’s legal opinions committee.
Jay is a member of the South Carolina Bar's legislative committees involving limited liability company and corporate law issues. He is a frequent speaker on various corporate, limited liability company and securities topics. Jay is also the published reporter for the State of South Carolina in the State Limited Liability Company & Partnership Laws treatise.
Active in the local community, Jay has served in leadership roles with several charitable organizations, including as President of the Indian Waters Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
Jay received a B.A. degree in economics from Washington & Lee University and his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law, where he was a member of the South Carolina Law Review.
- Advised numerous corporations and limited liability companies regarding their initial formation.
- Routinely represents various parties in numerous business transactions, including stock and asset acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, joint ventures and other similar transactions for private and public companies.
- Represents several public companies in public stock offerings and other on-going corporate and securities compliance matters, as well as going-private transactions.
- Advised clients on the rights and duties of partners, directors, officers, majority and minority shareholders, managers and members related to governance matters, including shareholder and member disputes, fiduciary duties, hostile takeovers, and Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance.
- Regularly assist clients with private securities offerings.
- Represented public and private companies in the banking, healthcare, wholesale distribution, and consumer retailer areas in stock offerings and other on-going corporate and securities compliance matters.
- South Carolina Bar - Corporations, Banking and Securities Section, Chairman (1999-2000)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America – in Corporate and Securities Law (2003-2012)
- “AV” rated by Martindale Hubbell
- State Reporter for South Carolina Chapter of State Limited Liability Company & Partnership Laws, a five-volume Compendium published by Aspen Law & Business
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., 1986
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
Civic & Professional Memberships
- President of the Indian Waters Council of the Boy Scouts of America
- Trustee of Heathwood Hall Episcopal School
- Former Director of the Carolina Children’s Home
- Former Trustee of the South Carolina Philharmonic
- American Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Eastminster Presbyterian Church - Columbia, SC