David Hawkins practices primarily in the areas of corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, finance, and taxation, including tax controversies. He assists clients in structuring joint ventures and advises major developers on real estate tax issues. He has acted as lead counsel to offshore companies locating operations in South Carolina and acted as special tax counsel in other economic development projects.
Mr. Hawkins has significant experience in off-shore transactions, including taxation and finance. He has assisted U.S. clients in the structuring and oversight of foreign investments. Since 2009, he has been actively involved in loan restructuring, work-outs and assisting clients with capitalization problems. Mr. Hawkins' special interest is succession planning for family businesses.
His career includes both the private practice of law and nine years in private investments. Mr. Hawkins previously served as the firm’s Chief Executive Officer and leader of the corporate practice group.
Mr. Hawkins received his J.D. degree, cum laude, from the
South Carolina and received an L.L.M. degree in taxation from
University. He also served in the Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps.
- Best Lawyers in America - Corporate, M&A, and Securities Law since 2005
- CEO, Nexsen Pruet (2006-2007)
- Charleston Symphony Orchestra - Former President
- Spoleto Festival USA - Board of Directors, Former Member
- College of Charleston
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1969
- New York University, LL.M., 1974
Bar & Court Admissions
Civic & Professional Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Judicial Conference of the Fourth Circuit