Amy Harmon Geddes is a Member in Nexsen Pruet’s Columbia, SC office practicing in the areas of insurance, products liability, and commercial and business litigation. Ms. Geddes has experience in all levels of the South Carolina State Courts, from the Administrative Law Court and Circuit Courts to the Appellate Courts, as well as in the Federal Courts in the District of South Carolina.
Ms. Geddes’ experience includes:
- Defending bad faith, fraud, misrepresentation and breach of contract claims involving life, automobile and homeowner policies;
- Defending third-party suits involving claims for negligence, defamation, wrongful death and premises liability, to include slip-and-fall cases and insufficient security claims;
- Insurance coverage disputes involving rights to benefits, a defense, and/or to indemnity;
- Issuing coverage opinions and administering examinations under oath;
- Product liability claims and/or UCC warranty claims involving a variety of products and goods, to include automobile tires, flooring product, commercial trucks, agricultural product, vertical lifts, and human tissue transplants;
- Asbestos litigation involving various types of equipment and products;
- Tobacco Escrow and MSA litigation and disputes;
- Lawsuits involving business disputes and claims such as breach of contract, unfair trade practices, trademark infringement, unfair competition, and civil RICO;
- Proceedings relating to Medicaid and/or Medicare benefits, to include termination and reimbursement decisions under same;
- Defending lender liability claims.
Ms. Geddes received a B.A. degree in English from the University of South Carolina, graduating Magna Cum Laude, with Honors from the South Carolina Honors College, and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. Ms. Geddes received her J.D. degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law, where she was a member of the Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity and Student Bar Association. She formerly served as law clerk to the Honorable Alexander S. Macaulay of the Tenth Judicial Circuit.
Ms. Geddes is a 2005 Graduate of the International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy. She is member of the South Carolina Bar Association, the Richland County Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute, the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association and the South Carolina Women Lawyers Association. Ms. Geddes has served on committees within many of these organizations and has co-chaired committees on multiple occasions. Ms. Geddes currently is a member of the Insurance Law, Product Liability Law and Women in the Law Committees of DRI.
- Nexsen Pruet Named One of the “Best Companies in the Midlands For Working Moms”
Nexsen Pruet is the only law firm recognized by the program.
- Nexsen Pruet Earns Designation as 'Midlands Green Business'
Nexsen Pruet has earned designation as a Midlands Green Business, joining other Columbia-area organizations that are committed to environmentally responsible practices in the workplace.
- Nexsen Pruet Elects Nine New Members
Nexsen Pruet announced that J. David Black, Amy Harmon Geddes, Stephen P. Groves, Sr., Gregory T. Higgins, Joseph M. Kahn, Christopher A. Ogiba, Brian T. Price, J. Frederick Reames, III, and Jeffrey S. Tibbals have been elected Members (partners) of the firm.
- Carolinas Insurance Litigation - Legal Review
This edition contains the following articles:
-Bad Faith in Absence of Breach of Insurance Contract?
-Certificates of Insurance and Additional Insureds.
- The Carolinas Insurance Litigation Review
This issue of the Carolinas Insurance Litigation Review includes:
- "Challenging Policyholder Claims for Bad Faith and Punitive Damages" for North Carolina
- "Combating Policyholder Bad Faith and Breach of the Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing Claims" for South Carolina
- Equitable Considerations in Removal
Recent Case law around the country indicates that, like many things in the law, the answer to the removal question of "Is one year the final answer?" may not be black or white or yes or no, but now more a gray "maybe."
- Presenter, “Certificates of Insurance: Avoiding Bad Faith,” 2011 PLRB/LIRB Eastern and Central Regional Adjusters Conferences, Baltimore, MD and Indianapolis, IN.
- Presenter, “Potential Liability in the Hospitality Industry,” Hospitality Leadership Conference, Hilton Head, SC.
- Former speaker, “Speakers in Schools” program sponsored by the South Carolina Bar.
- Former Judge, USC and South Carolina High School Mock Trial Competitions.
- University of South Carolina, B.A., 1996
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1999
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina - including all SC state courts and federal courts
Civic & Professional Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- SC Defense Trial Attorneys Association