John Sowards is chairman of the board for Nexsen Pruet. In this leadership position Mr. Sowards is responsible for shaping the firm's vision and strategy.
His practice is focused on the areas of real estate, corporate and finance law.
He represents commercial lenders, real estate developers and closely held businesses on a variety of matters. His practice includes extensive experience with all aspects of shopping center and hotel development, as well as all aspects of commercial lending including troubled debt restructuring and workouts. His corporate practice consists of general representation of businesses on all matters related thereto including finance, acquisitions, mergers, employment, contracts and business negotiations.
Mr. Sowards grew up in Texas, received his undergraduate degree in political science from the University of Tennessee and his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law. He was commissioned as a 2Lt in the US Army 1975 and served 4 years on active duty before heading to law school. He is active in his community and served as a leader in a Boy Scout troop for nearly 12 years and as a youth sports coach for nearly 14 years.
Mr. Sowards has been married to his high school sweetheart for more than 35 years and has two grown sons.
- 4 years active duty
- 10 years active reservist
- "Legal Elite of the Midlands" - Banking and Finance, 2012
- University of Tennessee, B.A., magna cum laude,1975
- University of South Carolina, J.D., cum laude, 1982
Bar & Court Admissions
Civic & Professional Memberships
- Lexington-Richland School District Five - Outstanding High School Mentor (2003)
- Columbia Urban League - Outstanding Board Member Award (2004)
- Saluda Shoals Foundation
- Irmo Chapin Recreation Commission, Commissioner (2004-present)