Neil C. Robinson, Jr.’s extensive practice experience includes complex real estate transactions; administrative law, including permitting, zoning and land sales registrations, development agreements; and industrial, commercial, mixed use, planned community, brownfields, and resort real estate development.
Also known for his negotiating and communications skills, he is frequently retained to develop and/or interpret contractual relationships, most often in the area of complex real estate development. In that capacity, he has represented PGA of America; the Halliburton Company; International Paper Company; The Beach Company; Morgan Stanley Real Estate Fund; Orange County, California; Bank of America and other national developers, lending institutions, and government entities.
Mr. Robinson was a member of the Nexsen Pruet team that successfully represented MeadWestvaco Corporation’s Community Development and Land Management Group and the Rockefeller Group in procuring incentives for a new distribution center in Berkeley County.
Mr. Robinson was a member of the team that represented Boeing and negotiated the complex deal that brought the Dreamliner assembly plant to South Carolina. Neil Robinson was a member of the Nexsen Pruet team that played an integral role in securing matching funds totaling $53 million that resulted in Clemson University being awarded a $45 million grant for the off-shore wind turbine test facility at the Restoration Institute site in North Charleston.
Mr. Robinson is an advocate for improving the state of public education in South Carolina, and especially in the development of innovative educational facilities with private sector support. In 1996 he was a founder of the Charleston Education Network, an advocacy group of business leaders committed to promoting better education opportunities for all children.
- Recipient of the 2009 Distinguished Service Award, Clemson University Alumni Association's Highest Honor
- Board of Trustees of the Clemson University Foundation
- Clemson Real Estate Development Foundation, Founding Trustee
- Clemson University Board of Visitors
- South Carolina Education Oversight Committee, Business Appointee of Senator Glenn McConnell
- Order of the Palmetto - Awarded by Former Governor David Beasley
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers - Real Estate Law
- Best Lawyers in America - Real Estate Law since 1995
- Cpl., U.S. Marine Corps, Reserve (Ret.)
- Former law clerk to The Honorable Charles E. Simons, Jr., Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- Charleston Education Network - Founder, Past President
- Clemson Advancement Foundation - President
- Coastal Properties Institute - President
- Hibernian Society - President
- South Carolina Tourism Council - Former President and Vice President
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition - President
- Urban Land Institute - Recreation Development Council
- Richland County - Former Public Defender
- "Education leaders: Florida holds key to SC literacy fix"
Neil Robinson, Nexsen Pruet attorney and chair of the state’s Education Oversight Committee, shares insight for a report in The State newspaper entitled "Education leaders: Florida holds key to SC literacy fix."
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys and Practice Groups Ranked Among Top in the Carolinas
Nexsen Pruet attorneys and practice areas have been recognized by a leading legal directory in both North and South Carolina.
- "Panelists: Recession forces real estate industry to get creative"
Nexsen Pruet attorney Neil Robinson shares insight about the real estate market at the "Ecoplosion" summit in Greenville.
- "S.C. EOC: Education progress stagnant, change needed"
Nexsen Pruet attorney, and Chairman of the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee, Neil Robinson says "we need a new sense of urgency in our state about improving education."
- 62 Attorneys Named to the 2012 Edition of Best Lawyers®
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 62 of its attorneys have been named to the 2012 edition of Best Lawyers®.
- "Robinson: Reading key to educational, economic improvement"
Nexsen Pruet attorney Neil Robinson, Chair of the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee, authored an Op-Ed for the Sunday, July 24th edition of Columbia's The State newspaper.
- Neil Robinson Reappointed to Clemson University Real Estate Foundation Board
Robinson will serve a four-year term.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys and Practice Groups Rated Among Top in the Carolinas
The newly released 2011 edition of Chambers USA lists fourteen attorneys as “Leaders in their Field” and gives high marks to the firm in six practice areas.
- "S.C. court ruling leaves contractors on the hook for negligence"
Nexsen Pruet attorney Neil Robinson shares insight into the potential impact of a recent S.C. Supreme Court ruling and efforts that are underway to convince the Legislature to address the issue.
- "Patriots Point board commits to land sale strategy"
Nexsen Pruet attorney Neil Robinson shared insight with the Patriots Point Development Authority board members at their retreat on December 16th, 2010.
- Fifty-nine Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®; Five Practice Areas Listed Among Top in the Carolinas
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 59 of its attorneys have been named to the 2011 edition of Best Lawyers®.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys and Practice Groups Rated Among Top in South Carolina
A leading legal directory has ranked Nexsen Pruet attorneys and practices among the top in South Carolina.
- "Thank You Stephanie Eames"
On Jan. 27th, 2010 state Senators thanked Nexsen Pruet attorney Stephanie Eames for her work on the deal that is bringing Boeing to South Carolina.
- Boeing's Test Flight of the 787 Dreamliner
Boeing's test flight of the 787 Dreamliner on December 15, 2009
- Neil Robinson elected Chairman of the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee
The South Carolina Education Oversight Committee elected Nexsen Pruet attorney Neil C. Robinson Jr., as its new Chairman on December 14.
- Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Work “Behind the Scenes” On Another Big Deal for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet attorneys have once again played a key role in a major economic development deal in South Carolina.
- Fifty-eight Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®
Fifty-eight Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.
- Nexsen Pruet: Only Law Firm Listed for North and South Carolina in "Trade Allies" Directory
The new edition of Southern Business & Development magazine features the "1st Annual Trade Allies Directory." Nexsen Pruet is the only law firm listed in both North and South Carolina.
- Legal Directory Publisher Ranks Four Nexsen Pruet Practice Areas Among Top in State; Eleven Attorneys Rated for Excellence
The 2009 edition of Chambers USA ranks four of Nexsen Pruet’s practice areas and eleven attorneys among the best in South Carolina.
- Twenty-Five Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named Among South Carolina’s Super Lawyers®
Twenty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the 2009 list of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
- Neil Robinson Jr. Honored by Clemson Alumni Association
Nexsen Pruet announced today that Neil Robinson Jr. is one of the latest recipients of the Clemson Alumni Association’s highest honor, the Distinguished Service Award.
- Nexsen Pruet Creates Distressed Property and Workout Practice Group
The new group will provide clients with resources, skills and experience to help navigate issues that emerge during periods of economic and financial uncertainty.
- 45 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers
Columbia, SC – Forty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2009 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. The publication also ranks Nexsen Pruet #1 in eleven practice areas in South Carolina and three in North Carolina.
- 2008 Economic Development and Tax Incentive Update
- Legal Directory Publisher Ranks 11 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys for Excellence; Four Practice Areas Rated Among Top in State
- Nexsen Pruet Named Among Top Economic Development Law Firms in the Southeast
Southern Business & Development magazine has named Nexsen Pruet one of the top law firms for economic development in the South – and the only one recognized in South Carolina.
- Leighton Lord and Neil Robinson Nominated to Founding Class of ULI South Carolina Center For Sustainable Leadership
Columbia, SC - Nexsen Pruet’s Leighton Lord and Neil Robinson have been nominated as founding class members of the Urban Land Institute South Carolina Center for Sustainable Leadership.
- 38 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Names To "The Best Lawyers in America 2008"
Thirty-eight attorneys from Nexsen Pruet, LLC were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2008 – including six who have now earned the honor for 10 years or more.
- Legal Publisher Recognizes Ten Nexsen Pruet Attorneys For Excellence; Three Practices Areas Again Rated No. 1
Ten Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named among the top legal practitioners in their fields in the 2007 edition of the Chambers USA Guide, and three of the firm’s practice areas were rated No. 1 in South Carolina.
- Neil Robinson Named to Clemson Foundation Board
Neil C. Robinson, Jr., a Member (partner) in Nexsen Pruet’s Charleston office, has been elected to the Board of Trustees of the Clemson University Foundation.
- 32 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to 2007 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America"
Thirty-two attorneys from Nexsen Pruet, LLC have been named to the 2007 edition of Best Lawyers in America – including six who have now earned the honor for 10 years or more.
- Neil Robinson Named To Who's Who Legal In Real Estate
Neil C. Robinson, Jr., a Member in Nexsen Pruet’s Charleston office, has been named to Who's Who Legal: USA - Real Estate 2006.
- Robinson Appointed to SC Education Oversight Committee
Nexsen Pruet member Neil Robinson of Charleston has been appointed to the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee.
- Robinson To Head Clemson Advancement Foundation
Neil C. Robinson, Jr., a Member of Nexsen Pruet, LLC, was installed as President of the Clemson Advancement Foundation for Design and Building.
- Clemson University, B.S., 1966
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1973
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
Civic & Professional Memberships
- Governor's Quality of Life Task Force
- South Carolina Education Oversight Committee, Chairman
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Board of Trustees, Clemson University Foundation
- Clemson Board of Visitors
- Founding Member, Board of Trustees, Clemson Real Estate Development Foundation
- MUSC Children's Hospital Foundation Board
- Urban Land Institute, Recreation Development Council
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- South Carolina Tourism Council
- Charleston Education Network
- Clemson Advancement Foundation
- Clemson University Humanities Board
- Hibernian Society
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
- College of Charleston School Advisory Board
- American Judicature Society
- American Resort and Residential Development Association
- Charleston County Bar Association
- Coastal Properties Institute
- Federal Bar Association