Matthew Roberts is the Chair of the firm's Health Care Practice Group.
His practice focuses on:
- physician/hospital relationships
- managed care issues
- Stark/Anti-Kickback issues
- fraud and abuse matters
- health care contracts
- Board governance issues
- issues related to tax-exempt hospitals
- false claims analysis and defense
- work on regulatory and legislative matters involving health care
Mr. Roberts received his undergraduate degree in International Relations, magna cum laude, from the University of South Carolina, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Mr. Roberts received his Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law, where he was a member of the South Carolina Law Review and of the Order of the Wig and Robe.
He frequently advises hospitals regarding relationships with physicians ranging from single service agreements to development of integrated physician networks and other collaborative arrangements. He also has experience with strategic planning and implementation for hospitals and other health care clients.
Mr. Roberts has extensive experience advising health care clients regarding issues related to Board governance matters including executive compensation, conflict of interest policies and Board involvement in compliance and quality related issues.
- Best Lawyers in America since 2009
- 2010 In All Things Charity Award, Healthy Learners
- Healthy Learners - Board Member, Former Chairman
- Carolina Children's Home - Board Member
- "Who's Who in Health Care" - Charlotte Business Journal
- South Carolina Bar - Health Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association - Health Law Section
- Leadership Columbia
- Navigating the Challenges of Physician Board Membership
Due in large part to the increased affiliation between hospitals and physicians, some hospital boards are seeking additional physician representation. Many hospitals have determined that having physician board members is an effective physician-alignment strategy and gives the board a different, but much needed, perspective on clinical issues.
- Amendment to the Stark Law Effective January 1
The healthcare reform act, known as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), has now been passed into law and will affect the lives of Americans in numerous ways. One change impacts the way in which some healthcare entities operate their businesses to comply with the ever changing landscape of the Stark law.
- Hospital/Physician Joint Ventures: If You Can't Beat Them, Joint Venture With Them
Matthew Roberts of Nexsen Pruet's Columbia office and Mindy Staley of Nexsen Pruet's Charlotte office on the increase in joint ventures between hospitals and physicians. (SCHFMA Palmetto State News, March, 2006)
- Hospitals face challenges to tax-exempt status
Read a story from the Charlotte Business Journal co-authored by Matthew Roberts of Nexsen Pruet's Columbia office and Mindy Staley of the Charlotte office on challenges to nonprofit hospitals' tax-exempt status.
- Tax Exempt Hospitals: How to Survive in a Hostile Environment
Matthew Roberts of the Columbia office and Mindy Staley of the Charlotte office co-authored this article on how many hospitals should be reacting to increased scrutiny of and challenges to their nonprofit status.
- Tax Exempt Hospitals: In the Fire and Under the Gun
Nexsen Pruet attorneys Matthew Roberts and Mindy Staley on standards under which tax-exempt hospitals must operate.
- Managed Care Contract Issues
- Protecting Directors, Officers, Members and Volunteers from Liability
A presentation for Public Charities in South Carolina.
- Conflict of Interest Credentialing
This article outlines the increasing need for a new hospital strategy, often referred to as conflict of interest credentialing or a modified version of economic credentialing, and discusses the implementation of this strategy.
- Managing Managed Care: Providers Fight Back Against HMOs
Article by Ralph W. Barbier, Esq. and Matthew B. Roberts, Esq. in SC Lawyer Magazine.
- Managed Care: Are Physicians and Hospitals Friends or Foes?
A presentation to the North Carolina Healthcare Financial Managers' Association (NCHFMA).
Co-presenter, "Evaluating Physician Affiliation & Network Integration: A Conversation for Boards & Administration", South Carolina Hospital Association Annual Trustees, Administrator and Physicians (“TAP”) meeting, Hilton Head, SC - September 2012
Co-presenter, "Health Care Reform: Implications for the Present & Future", 11th Annual Small & Rural Hospital Conference, Charlotte, NC - November 2011
Co-presenter, "Current Trends in Hospital Affiliations", North Carolina Healthcare Financial Managers Association (NCHFMA) Summer Meeting, August 2011
Co-presenter, "Current Trends in Hospital Affiliations", Dixon Hughes Goodman Hospital Symposium, May 2011
Co-presenter, "The New Role of Hospital Boards in the Face of Increased Compliance Risks", NCHA Trustee Institute, April 2011
Co-presenter, "Re-envisioning the Role of Hospital Boards in the Post-Reform Era", Health Care Advisory Board webinar, February 2011
Co-presenter, "Governance & Leadership Issues in Today’s Environment", South Carolina Hospital Association's CFO Forum, July 2010
Co-presenter, "Anti-trust Issues in the Managed Care World", South Carolina Hospital Association, July 2010
Co-presenter, "Board Governance Issues for Tax-Exempt Hospitals", Dixon Hughes Hospital Symposium, May 2010
Co-presenter, "Health Care Reform and its Impact on Physicians", First Citizens Bank, May 2010
"Stark: Anti-Markup Provisions", National Association of Rural Health Clinics Fall Institute, September 2009
Physician Hospital Affiliation Panel, North Carolina Healthcare Financial Managers Association, August 2009
"Stark Update and Anti-Markup Rule", National Association of Rural Health Clinics Summer Institute, June 2009
"Stark Law", South Carolina Office of Rural Health, April 2009
- University of South Carolina, B.A., 1990
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1995
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
Civic & Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Healthcare Financial Managers Association (NC/SC)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar