Sometimes imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…. Sometimes it’s simply infringement.
William Y. Klett III (“Corky”) has a broad and diverse intellectual property practice. While his practice focuses on intellectual property litigation of all types, he is also routinely involved in the intellectual property aspects of corporate transactions including due diligence for mergers and acquisitions, technology transfer and licensing, as well as intellectual property portfolio creation, management, and enforcement.
Corky has experience representing clients in patent infringement matters related to a broad range of technologies, and has argued before Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Read more.
Mr. Klett has experience filing and prosecuting federal trademark applications, managing and enforcing trademark portfolios, and litigating trademark matters, including infringement actions in federal court and cancellation and opposition proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Such matters often involve internet domain names. Mr. Klett has experience with UDRP claims associated with domain name disputes. Read more.
Mr. Klett has a wide variety of copyright experience, including internet music downloading cases, publication and manufacturing design. Read more.
Mr. Klett has experience in developing strategies for the preservation and enforcement of corporate proprietary information. He assists companies in developing policies and employee agreements aimed at protecting this valuable intangible asset. Read more about his representative experience in matters that have escalated to litigation.
Mr. Klett has experience in negotiating and drafting license agreements for software, as well as litigating software issues. Read more.
Mr. Klett is the primary intellectual property counsel to the Estate of James Brown. In connection with this representation, he is involved with a wide variety of issues. Read more.
Mr. Klett routinely represents companies in the development, protection, and management of intellectual property assets. Read more.
Prior to joining Nexsen Pruet, Mr. Klett practiced law at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld in San Antonio, TX as well as at Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough in Columbia, SC.
- Best Lawyers in America ® - Intellectual Property (2006-2011); Copyright law (2012-present); Trademark law (2012-present); Patent law (2012-present); Patent litigation (2012-present); Intellectual Property litigation (2012-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell - AV-rated
- Supreme Court of South Carolina's Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline (1995-1997)
- Supreme Court of SC's Commission on Lawyer Conduct (1997-1998; 2000-2004)
- SC Bar Ethics Advisory Committee - Chair
- "Legal Elite of the Midlands" - Intellectual Property, 2012
- Colorado School of Mines, B.S.E., 1987
- University of Nebraska, J.D., 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- South Carolina
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Courts in Colorado, South Carolina, the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the 4th, 10th, and Federal Circuits
Civic & Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association (Intellectual Property Law and Litigation Sections)
- Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Intellectuelle (FICPI)