Joseph M. Kahn is a Member and a part of the Firm’s Health Care practice group. He works out of the Firm’s Raleigh, NC office. Mr. Kahn regularly advises hospitals and physician practices both in an outside general counsel capacity and on specific matters of importance to the Firm’s health care clients.
Mr. Kahn’s practice focuses on assisting clients with their strategic development and the implementation of their goals within the regulatory framework applicable to health care entities and practitioners. The scope of his advice regularly includes:
- Stark/Anti-Kickback analysis
- health care mergers/acquisitions/affiliations
- hospital/physician contracts, relationships and joint ventures
- compliance audits and reports
- vendor and provider contract drafting and negotiation
- strategic analysis
- managed care issues
Mr. Kahn’s experience also includes:
- Multiple hospital affiliation matters, including serving as counsel for hospitals entering into long-term leases, sale arrangements, and management agreements;
- Assisting hospitals and physician practices with compliance audits and investigations, as well as leading clients through the reporting process;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating thousands of provider and vendor contracts
- Counseling hospital clients through numerous physician practice acquisitions, as well as developing other joint venture and physician affiliation models
Mr. Kahn is a member of the Advisory Opinion Task Force for the American Health Lawyers Association’s Fraud and Abuse Practice Group. In addition, he currently serves as President of the Board of the North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys. He is also Treasurer of the Health Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association.
A native of Greenville, SC, Mr. Kahn received his Bachelor of Arts degree, with honors, in history and political science from Washington University in St. Louis. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law, where he was a member of the South Carolina Law Review.
Mr. Kahn is licensed in both North Carolina and South Carolina, and is a member of the North Carolina Bar, the South Carolina Bar, the American Health Lawyers Association, the North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys, the North Carolina Health Care Financial Managers Association, and the American Bar Association. He is a past Chairman of the Board of Directors (2010-11) for the Make-a-Wish Foundation's Central and Western North Carolina chapter.
Mr. Kahn is a frequent author and presenter on a variety of health care topics.
- NC Society of Healthcare Attorneys - President
- NCBA Council for the Health Law Section - Treasurer
- Best Lawyers in America (2011, 2012)
- "Who's Who in Health Care: Law Practices" Triad Area, NC - The Business Journal of the Triad
Co-presenter, "Current Trends in Hospital Affiliations", North Carolina Healthcare Financial Managers Association (NCHFMA) Summer Meeting, August 2011
Co-presenter, "Current Trends in Hospital Affiliations", Dixon Hughes Goodman Hospital Symposium, May 2011
Co-presenter, "The New Role of Hospital Boards in the Face of Increased Compliance Risks", NCHA Trustee Institute, April 2011
- Washington University in St. Louis, B.A.
- University of South Carolina, J.D.
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Civic & Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar